Monday, October 18, 2010

Stoma's don't sweat the small stuff.


I am such a baby. Honestly. I had my first sigmoidoscopy today and have been nervous for a week.
BO I suffered through 13 year's of rectal area draining fistula's. Colonoscopies where always a hassle. There was 2 days of nothing but liquids, drinking that stuff that makes you poop but also the dreaded Fleet enema. There was no way on God's green earth that I was able to place anything NEAR my bum let alone put anything up there. Then there was the procedure itself. Laying in the bed, trying not to yell as nurse after nurse cursed my small veins as they missed the mark with the IV. The cold theatre and being put to sleep, waking up was awful and I am always kept an extra hour because I always have low blood pressure. I would be off work for a day, sometimes two and would feel like hell for a week. Nope, I am not a fan of the scope.
Dr.Wong assured me having a sigmoidoscopy was different. Little prep, able to drive myself to and from the hospital and no anesthesia.
Last night I made a rib dinner for the boys (I make a huge Sunday dinner for all our male bachelor friends) and was able to eat and drink until 9pm. After 9pm I had to have liquids only and after midnight, nothing by mouth at all.
This morning I had to give myself an enema through my stoma. ICK. I stood in the washroom starring at the bottle, starring at Oscar, starring at the bottle, starring at Oscar, back and forth for about 5 minutes. Finally I said to Oscar "I'm sorry little guy" and plunged the tip of the enema bottle into my stoma. Nothing. I felt nothing. There was a little pressure, but nothing. I jumped into the shower and was all done in 10 minutes. craziness.
I arrived at the hospital with my BFF Pattie and was shown to my bed. I undressed, the nurse came in and took my temperature, I was wheeled into the theatre, Dr.Wong put his finger into my stoma, He scoped for 2 and 1 half minutes, declared my colon was "beautifully healthy" and I was given a clean bill of health. I was then wheeled back to my area, got dressed, and left. I was in and out in an hour. Insane.
Oscar, thank you for making scopes easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment